ACF Central Regional Conference Brings Chefs and Govt. Officials Together
American Culinary Federation Central Regional Conference April 17-20
Brings Chefs and Government Officials Together in New Orleans
Annual conference features competitions, cooking demonstrations and a special
session with state officials and representatives from the National Commission
on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, April 20.
St. Augustine, Fla., March 21, 2011—Some of New Orleans’ most respected chefs will join hundreds of attendees from across the region to “Experience the Power of Connection” during the 2011 American Culinary Federation (ACF) Central Regional Conference, April 17-20, 2011, at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside. The conference, hosted by ACF New Orleans Chapter, provides networking and educational opportunities, live demonstrations, a trade show and regional competitions.
Cooking competitions take place off-site at Delgado Community College–City Park campus (615 City Park Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119). All winners will be announced April 20 during the awards gala, and will advance to the national competitions in Dallas in July.
This year’s guest chefs include John Folse, CEC, AAC, HBOT, owner of Chef John Folse & Company, Paul Prudhomme, HAAC, HHOF, owner of Magic Seasoning Blends and K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen, Susan Spicer, owner of the French Quarter’s Bayona, and Tory McPhail, executive chef at Commander’s Palace Restaurant, who will present the keynote address during General Session, April 18.
On April 20, the one-year anniversary of the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, representatives from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Environmental Protection Agency and Food & Drug Administration, as well as several other state organizations, will give attendees a gulf seafood safety update. Immediately following, the National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, which was appointed by President Barack Obama on May 21, 2010, will offer a summary of its report. Here is a look at each day’s events:
Monday, April 18:
- Composing Flavors, sponsored by McCormick For Chefs: 8-9:30 a.m.
- Student Team Championship, sponsored by R.L. Schreiber: 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Eleven student teams, including one from Delgado Community College, compete in the cold-food platters portion of the competition.
- Louisiana Heritage Cuisine, hosted by Prudhomme: 10-11:30 a.m.
- General Session: 1-5 p.m. McPhail gives the keynote address.
- Cheese and Beer Tasting: Flights of Small Plates, s
- ponsored by Cabot Creamery Cooperative with Harpoon Brewery: 6-7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 19:
- Student Team Championship: 7:30-9 a.m. Student teams compete in the hot-food category.
- World of Flavors: Greece and Japan, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions: 8-9:30 a.m.
- Balancing Protein: Culinary Science Strategies for Chefs, s
- ponsored by MenuMax: 8-9:30 a.m.
- Flavors of the World with a New Orleans Twist, hosted by Spicer: 10-11:30 a.m.
- Kids Deserve Good Food and Service, Too!: 10-11:30 a.m.
- Trade show: noon-4 p.m. Attendees network and view the latest culinary products. The Paella, Please! competition takes place live on the trade show floor.
- Baron H. Galand Culinary Knowledge Bowl, sponsored by American Technical Publishers: 8 a.m.-noon. Twelve student teams, including three from New Orleans, put their culinary knowledge to the test.
- Louisiana’s Swamp Floor Pantry, hosted by Folse: 4-5:30 p.m.
- Best Chefs of New Orleans fundraising event: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Guests head to Mardi Gras World to enjoy live jazz, food and to meet New Orleans’ most beloved chefs, including John Besh, Leah Chase, Folse, Spicer, McPhail and Prudhomme, among others.
Wednesday, April 20:
- Plating and Presentation Techniques: 8-9:30 a.m.
- Pastry Chef of the Year competition, sponsored by Splenda®: 8:15-10:10 a.m. Four chefs compete for the regional title.
- Chef of the Year competition, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions: 10 a.m.-1:50 p.m. Four chefs compete live.
- Student Chef of the Year competition, sponsored by Custom Culinary, Inc.: 10 a.m.-1:50 p.m. Four culinary students compete for the regional title.
- The Gulf Coast: A Year Later, sponsored by Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board: 11:15 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Canadian Beef, sponsored by the Beef Information Center: 1:15-2:45 p.m.
- World Tour with Garlic, sponsored by Christopher Ranch: 1:15-2:45 p.m.
- Regional Awards Gala, sponsored by Splenda® and the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board: 7-9:30 p.m. All award winners are announced at this formal dinner event.
The conference is open to food professionals and enthusiasts. Registration is required. Daily badges are $125 and include lunch or brunch. Guests can register on-site. For more information, visitwww.acfchefs.org/events or call (800) 624-9458.
Sponsors of the 2010 ACF Central Regional Conference and ACF national award sponsors are: American Technical Publishers; Barry Callebaut; Beef Information Centre; Cabot Creamery Cooperative; Canada Cutlery Inc.; Cargill Salt; The Cheesecake Factory Bakery Inc.; Christopher Ranch; Custom Culinary, Inc.; Ecolab; Kingsburg Orchards; Koch Foods, Inc.; Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing; Mars Foodservice; McCormick For Chefs; MenuMax; MINOR’S®; Mississippi Seafood Marketing; NEWCHEF Fashion Inc.; NORPAC; R.L. Schreiber, Inc.; Riviana Foods Inc.; Splenda®; Tyson Food Service;Unilever Foodsolutions; U.S. Foodservice; Vitamix Corp.; and the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
The American Culinary Federation, Inc., established in 1929, is the premier professional organization for culinarians in North America. With more than 20,000 members spanning 225 chapters nationwide, ACF is the culinary leader in offering educational resources, training, apprenticeship and programmatic accreditation. In addition, ACF operates the most comprehensive certification program for chefs in the United States. ACF is home to ACF Culinary Team USA, the official representative for the United States in major international culinary competitions, and to the Chef & Child Foundation, founded in 1989 to promote proper nutrition in children and to combat childhood obesity. For more information, visit www.acfchefs.org.
# # #
Editor’s note: Media is invited to attend. Contact Leah Craig for press credentials at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-484-0213.