Home » News » Features » President's Message
Message from WACS President
Good Things Come in Small Packages
Monday, 17 November 2008
I don’t have to tell anyone what major event just went on in Erfurt in October. Most WACS members know about the IKA « Culinary Olympics » in Erfurt and have heard about the results, who won, how their country did, etc.There is so much information and coverage on this event on the world web, through each associations newsletters and from person to person that I decided not to talk so much about it, except to congratulate everyone of the 32 countries that participated for the hard work and the great performances and especially the Norwegian Team who were the overall winners. In all my years of attending the IKA, I have always been impressed to see that results just get more and more amazing every time, and so I think everyone deserves respect for this.
WACS President Gissur Gudmundsson
and VKD President Ctefan Wohlfeil
As most of you also might know, this year, the World Association of Chefs Societies presented their new booth in Erfurt. Both members of the WACS Board and various Committee members took turns working in the stand, meeting the members, handing out information and being available to answer questions regarding WACS and its programs. We hope that everyone took the opportunity to share their ideas, concerns and just to get to know the each other better.
We had an unfortunate incident with much of the new WACS paraphernalia that we wanted to display and make available at the booth as our shipment got caught up in customs and had to be sent back to South Africa, but we hope to make these things available to you all, as well as new literature and information on all WACS Programs at the next WACS Approved show, the ScotHot in Glasgow, Scotland, from the 2nd to the 4th of March, 2009. We hope to see you there!
Although I like to see what is done in big competitions like IKA, I think it is worth going to see less known and smaller competitions because the passion and heart that chefs put into these simpler shows is easier to see than through all the glamour of the big shows. In October, I also had the honour of being invited to judge in such enjoyable shows.
The Combined Services Culinary Challenge is a competition between caterers of the British Armed Forces (HM Armed Forces). Military culinary competitions are something I knew very little about and it was for me a great opportunity to see how things work in this particular branch of cooking, and to meet some of the people involved.
I can tell you that these men and women, who often operate under very difficult circumstances, either in combat situations in Afghanistan and Iraq or even on ships and submarines, show a level of discipline and camaraderie which shines in their team work. It was great to see Geoff Acott, military advisor of the WACS Culinary Competitions Committee, in action and in his element, and I would like to thank Captain Paul Cunningham of the British Royal Navy and the organisers for their wonderful hospitality and this very instructive opportunity.
The Estonian Chef of the Year and the Estonian Young Chef of the Year. It’s always a pleasure to arrive in Estonia. The country has grown a lot over just a few years, especially when it comes to the restaurant business. The standard of the restaurants is of the highest level and you can be sure to find something for your own taste. The competitions went well and young and senior Chefs of the year were announced at the Gala Dinner, with over 200 people attending. It is always impressive to see how many people show interest in our profession and like to be part of it. I have always been very proud of my friends in Estonia; they have only been with WACS as members since the New Zealand Congress in 2006 but since then, they have held a European meeting, organized the first Global Chefs Challenge Semi-final for Northern Europe and they are only growing stronger. The Estonian Chefs Association are one of the best examples of what is possible when people work hand and hand together: They can do everything.
My friends, until next month I hope you all will have a wonderful time. Work hard but don’t forget your friends and family.
With Culinary friendship,
- The world is changing and so must we. added 18 March 2013
- Get ready for an exiting year: added 14 January 2013
- Dear friends and colleagues, added 19 December 2012
- Dear chefs around the world added 16 November 2012
- Culinary October added 17 October 2012
- International Chefs Day 2012 Focus on "How to Feed the Planet in the Future" added 10 September 2012
- Are we using our time right? added 24 August 2012
- A Step Forward added 15 June 2012
- Thank you for a congress to be remembered added 15 May 2012
- WACS is Bringing Worlds Together added 11 April 2012
- The Crossroad added 16 February 2012
- Our Responsibility as WACS Members added 13 January 2012
- Looking Back and Looking Forward added 21 December 2011
- Education is Our Future added 21 November 2011
- A Focus On Sustainable Cuisine For The Year 2011 And International Chefs Day added 04 October 2011
- World Chefs Tour Against Hunger added 16 August 2011
- The Road Ahead added 08 July 2011
- added 13 June 2011
- A FOCUS ON SUSTAINABLE CUISINE FOR THE YEAR 2011 AND INTERNATIONAL CHEFS DAY added 01 May 2011
- added 11 February 2011
- "Busy Times for Busy People" added 12 November 2010
- Do we really care? added 08 October 2010
- Support added 15 July 2010
- "Go Green with Chefs" added 11 May 2010
- From the Land of Fire and Ice added 19 April 2010
- "World Chefs Without Borders" added 09 March 2010
- Gracias - Thank You - Merci - Danke -Takk! added 12 February 2010
- Raising Membership Awareness added 12 January 2010
- Food For Thoughts Over the Holiday Season added 11 December 2009
- A NEW WEBSITE! added 28 September 2009
- August Message from President added 31 July 2009
- A Wonderful Summer Beginning added 02 July 2009
- 34 Weeks to Go. Are We Ready? added 01 June 2009
- We Are on the Right Path! added 29 April 2009
- Can you feel it? I do! added 13 March 2009
- An Action Packed Month added 14 February 2009
- Great Start to a New Year! added 15 January 2009
- When in Rome added 05 December 2008
- There is Light at the End of the Tunnel added 23 October 2008
- Four Countries: One Language added 23 September 2008
- Board meets in Johannesburg added 22 August 2008
- A Fruitful First 40 days added 14 July 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 2nd Message added 11 June 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 1st Message added 23 May 2008