Home » News » Features » President's Message
Message from WACS President
Do we really care?
Friday, 08 October 2010
Challenging times bring us new opportunities to test our abilities in stimulating ways. Through the last few years, we have all been witnesses of great changes in our world; especially for us working with food, with food costs rising and environmentally-conscious customers and many more pressures coming our way.
Are we really following what is happening around us? Are we up-to-date about the quality of the products we buy and cook? Do we care? Do we investigate what is put in the pre-made products we use, what the animals we use in cooking have been fed or what has been used to let the vegetables grow faster?
Do we care or do we ignore it because it is too complicated, or because we are more concerned about the best prices we get, the best service we get and so on? Or, do we just not care?
In the year of 2009, we asked our members around the world to focus on “Food Waste and Food Safety”. This year, we asked you to focus on “Go Green With Chefs” and next year, we will ask you to focus on another related theme: Sustainable Cuisine. Why? Because we do care.
Selecting these themes creates a tool which can help you make wiser choices and also gives everyone the opportunity to bring new ideas, opinions and knowledge to the table. Clearly we are getting our members to think and understand that they do have a responsibility because of their power with food and also as an inhabitant of this planet. Now it is just up to you to make the decision about what you want to do with all this information.
Share your thoughts on our International Chefs Day task and let us know what you think. Good or bad is not the issue, but that you have and share an opinion is what matters to us. Have a challenging time in the kitchen and don't forget your own responsibility towards your profession, family and your earth.
With culinary friendship,
- The world is changing and so must we. added 18 March 2013
- Get ready for an exiting year: added 14 January 2013
- Dear friends and colleagues, added 19 December 2012
- Dear chefs around the world added 16 November 2012
- Culinary October added 17 October 2012
- International Chefs Day 2012 Focus on "How to Feed the Planet in the Future" added 10 September 2012
- Are we using our time right? added 24 August 2012
- A Step Forward added 15 June 2012
- Thank you for a congress to be remembered added 15 May 2012
- WACS is Bringing Worlds Together added 11 April 2012
- The Crossroad added 16 February 2012
- Our Responsibility as WACS Members added 13 January 2012
- Looking Back and Looking Forward added 21 December 2011
- Education is Our Future added 21 November 2011
- A Focus On Sustainable Cuisine For The Year 2011 And International Chefs Day added 04 October 2011
- World Chefs Tour Against Hunger added 16 August 2011
- The Road Ahead added 08 July 2011
- added 13 June 2011
- A FOCUS ON SUSTAINABLE CUISINE FOR THE YEAR 2011 AND INTERNATIONAL CHEFS DAY added 01 May 2011
- added 11 February 2011
- "Busy Times for Busy People" added 12 November 2010
- Support added 15 July 2010
- "Go Green with Chefs" added 11 May 2010
- From the Land of Fire and Ice added 19 April 2010
- "World Chefs Without Borders" added 09 March 2010
- Gracias - Thank You - Merci - Danke -Takk! added 12 February 2010
- Raising Membership Awareness added 12 January 2010
- Food For Thoughts Over the Holiday Season added 11 December 2009
- A NEW WEBSITE! added 28 September 2009
- August Message from President added 31 July 2009
- A Wonderful Summer Beginning added 02 July 2009
- 34 Weeks to Go. Are We Ready? added 01 June 2009
- We Are on the Right Path! added 29 April 2009
- Can you feel it? I do! added 13 March 2009
- An Action Packed Month added 14 February 2009
- Great Start to a New Year! added 15 January 2009
- When in Rome added 05 December 2008
- Good Things Come in Small Packages added 17 November 2008
- There is Light at the End of the Tunnel added 23 October 2008
- Four Countries: One Language added 23 September 2008
- Board meets in Johannesburg added 22 August 2008
- A Fruitful First 40 days added 14 July 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 2nd Message added 11 June 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 1st Message added 23 May 2008